Monday, November 3, 2014

Turkey Stock Makes Great Chicken Noodle Soup (Recipe)

With Thanksgiving on its way. Everyone will soon be scrambling around to find the perfect Turkey. Thanksgiving is a day to be thankful. We are thankful for are families, delicious food and the Native people (don't call them Native Americans it's offensive)  who were kind enough to share their food with us and thus prevent our subsequent starvation. And of course, the Turkeys (the living) all over America will celebrate and be thankful that they survived another Turkey Day Holocaust. 

As you are enjoy the Tryptophan induced coma your wife is probably in the Kitchen throwing away the ravaged remains of the Thanksgiving Turkey. But Don't do that. You are throwing away a valuable resource. You can use that carcass to make a delicious Turkey Stock that will make what my wife called a near perfect Chicken Noodle Soup. Now of course I achieved this feat of greatness (in my own mind) not be being perfect. I couldn't do anything perfect if my life depending on it. As usual it was an accident (doh!-licious). Here is the recipe


How to Make Delicious Turkey Stock



Ingredients:


Turkey Bones
*1/2 quart of Carrot Tops (not the greens just the nubs  you usually don't eat)
Two large handfuls of fresh chopped or dehydrated leaks
3 or 4 regular sized celery stalks chopped
half a jar of dehydrated or fresh chopped onions. 
handful of fresh or dehydrated parsley flakes
7 or 8 Dried Sage Leaves
1 large sprig of rosemary
A couple large shakes of Thyme
1 Tablespoon Celery Powder
1 Monkey Wrench to Crack the Turkey Bones


Directions:



1. Put all the ingredients in a large pot. 
2. Fill the pot with water to just about an inch over the ingredients. 
3. Simmer (1 or 2 bubbles a minute) until all the meat starts to fall of the turkey.
4. Remove the Turkey Bones Take the meat off the bones and throw away (or add to your collection of leftovers)
5. Crack the bones with your monkey wrench and toss them back into the pot. 
6. Simmer until it is concentrated to the desired taste. 
7. Strain through a fine mesh strainer when it tastes good. 
8. Pour into containers and refrigerate overnight.
9. Skim the congealed fat (if any) off the top of container and freeze until ready.


Notes: 


Some people have complained that this method makes the broth cloudy but I didn't notice. It tastes delicious that is the only thing that is important to me. You can use this Turkey Stock to make a delicious Chicken Noodle Soup. I will post the recipe below when I type it up.  Here is the recipe I started with to make Turkey Stock but I experimented with it and its totally(well, not totally)  different  now. 

*I save the top and bottom pieces that I cut off the carrots to use for Broths. If you want you can just put carrots in there instead. But I am broke as a joke so I have try and reuse everything I can. 

Related Articles:





(copyrighted) Dug Impossible 

No comments:

Post a Comment